Thursday, May 31, 2012

Homemade Granola

 
Over the holiday season, I made a batch of homemade granola for my co-workers. When asked for the recipe, I couldn't provide more than an ingredient list because it was made up as I went along. Though, I must admit that it was largely based on this Olive Oil Granola With Dried Apricots and Pistachios published in the New York Times. I never would have thought to use olive oil!

About a month ago, I finally decided to recreate it (after Glara's constant reminder that her granola went missing) and made more than I needed. Half of it went into the freezer because I read that it freezes well. This past weekend, it was finally put to the test when I brought it with me on a backpacking trip. I feared that it would get soggy or taste of freezer burn. Surprisingly, it still tasted fresh. And, it tasted better slightly frozen! 

Find my recipe after the jump.


Homemade Granola
5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup walnuts
1 cup pecans
1 cup peanuts
1 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup dried cranberries
1)  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2)  Coat large baking sheet with oil.
3)  In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, shredded coconut, maple syrup, brown sugar, olive oil, salt, and cinnamon.
4)  Spread mixture in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
(NOTE: Stir every 5-10 minutes to prevent burning.)
5) Transfer granola to a large bowl and add dried cranberries, tossing to combine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment