When K called me earlier asking what we should have for dinner, I suggested broccoli pasta. Not only is it quick, it's also one of my favorite pasta dishes, especially K's version. He has perfected it over the years and tonight's topped all the others. I highly recommend using strozzapreti instead of the traditional orecchiette. It may just be me, but I think you get more pasta per bite :)
Please read on for the recipe.
K’s Broccoli Rabe and Sausage Pasta
1 pound pasta (used strozzapreti)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound hot Italian sausage, cut up into small chunks
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 bunch of broccoli rabe, cut into smaller chunks and parboiled for 5 minutes
1/3 stick of butter, cut into thin slices
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
salt and pepper, to taste
1) Heat olive oil in pan and add the Italian sausage.
2) Cook for about 10 minutes or until browned evenly.
3) Stir in garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
4) Add the broccoli rabe and stock and bring to a gentle boil.
5) Once boiled, reduce heat and simmer until the broccoli rabe is tender, about 5 minutes.
6) Cook the pasta according to package directions.
7) Drain and reserve in a separate pan or pot.
8) Turn off heat to the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste.
9) Stir in the butter.
10) Combine the pasta and the sauce and top each individual serving with the Pecorino Romano cheese.