Another chilled soup to try is Martha Stewart's Chilled Avocado Soup. We made this last summer on one of those nights when you just want something cold and satisfying. This is super quick and easy, not to mention best eaten immediately, as avocado turns quickly.
Recipe is after the jump.
Chilled Avocado Soup
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
3 ripe avocados
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup walnut halves
1/3 cup fresh dill sprigs, plus more for garnish (optional)
1/3 cup diced red onion, or half a small onion
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1) Halve and pit two avocados.
2) With a spoon, scoop out flesh and transfer to a blender.
3) Add buttermilk, walnuts, dill, red onion, vinegar, salt, and 1 cup water and puree until smooth.
4) Cover the blender and refrigerate until the soup is well chilled, at least one hour.
5) Halve and pit remaining avocado.
6) Cut into four sections lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch chunks.
7) Divide soup among four bowls and garnish each with diced avocado and dill, if desired.