Our friend Aaron prepared the Barefoot Contessa's Lasagna with Turkey Sausage for us several years ago, but we were so impressed with the recipe, that K has only made this version since. We can't find any flaws with the recipe. It has the perfect balance of cheese and sauce, not to mention four different types of cheeses to satisfy your taste buds.
Lasagna with Turkey Sausage
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 35 min
Serves: 8 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound lasagna noodles
15 ounces ricotta cheese
3 to 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet.
3) Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
4) Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
5) Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
6) Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
7) Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
8) Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water.
9) Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes.
11) In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
12) Set aside.
13) Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish.
14) Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce.
15) Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce.
16) Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
17) Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.