Thursday, January 17, 2013

Portabella Mushroom Fajitas


As much as I love Mexican food (it's in my top 3), I rarely attempt to make it at home. I think living in a city where you can find great food of any cuisine, it's easier to leave it to the professionals. Whatever the reason, I may slowly incorporate Mexican into our rotation after the mushroom fajitas I made. Not to pat myself on the back, but they were way better than many vegetarian burritos/tacos I've had in my life. Yes, it's a bold statement. But, eating like a vegetarian on occasion, I think I'm allowed to say this. It seems as though many places don't put a lot of thought or care into vegetarian dishes. They think that putting any vegetable will do and that the vegetarians/vegans will be content with it. That is the main reason I'm not a vegetarian. If there were as many amazing vegetarian options as there are non-vegetarian, I'd have no problem making the switch.

I know this was worth making again because K ate leftovers for two days. My recipe is after the jump.

Portabella Mushroom Fajitas
Yield: Serves: 8-10

3 portabella mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1 red onion, sliced thinly—set 1 tbsp aside
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
16 dashes of ground cumin
8 dashes of paprika
4 dashes of cayenne pepper
12 dashes of Ancho chili powder
12 dashes of salt
12 dashes of black pepper
olive oil
flour tortillas
 
Topping
Greek yogurt or sour cream
cilantro
limes

Guacamole
2 small avocados
½ lime juice
cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp red onion, diced
salt, according to taste
pepper, according to taste

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) Coat roasting pan with olive oil.

3) Spread peppers and onions in roasting pan and toss.

4) Bake until peppers are soft and onions are slightly caramelized, approximately 40 minutes. Toss every 10 minutes or so.

5) Heat olive oil in a skillet.

6) Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté until soft.

7) Add cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Adjust spices, if necessary.

8) Let mushrooms soak up seasonings for a couple of minutes and then turn off heat.

9) Mix avocados, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

10) Warm tortillas in the microwave or oven.

11) Assemble fajitas with mix of mushrooms, peppers and onions, guacamole, Greek yogurt or sour cream, cilantro, and fresh squeezed lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment