Still shying away from making real pies, my ears perked up when my co-worker recommended Barefoot Contessa's Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. I prefer to make the Apple-Oat Crisp only when it's cold out, much to K's dismay. But, this recipe calls for strawberries, so it is a summer crisp. I made this awhile ago as well, when strawberries were in season and more importantly, cheap.
Make sure to place a sheet pan underneath the baking dish! I forgot to do that, so the bottom of our oven is now blackened with strawberry syrup ash.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Recipe courtesy Barefoot Contessa: How Easy is That? Copyright (c) 2010 by Ina Garten. Published by Clarkson Potter for Food Network Magazine
Prep Time: 25 min
Inactive Prep Time: --
Cook Time: 1 hr 0 min
Serves: 6 servings
4 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 to 5 stalks)
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal, such as McCann's
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2) For the fruit, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar and the orange zest together in a large bowl.
3) In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit.
4) Pour the mixture into an 8-by-11-inch baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (Make sure to have the sheet pan underneath to catch drippings!)
5) For the topping, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour,
6) With the mixer on low speed, add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist and the mixture is in crumbles.
7) Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
8) Serve warm with ice cream.