Fulfilling my promise to post our favorite recipes, here is the Sweet Potato and Cheddar Bread Pudding I made two years ago. It's perfect as is, so I have no changes to the recipe from the blog, Dixie Caviar. It's actually an adaptation of a Butternut Squash and Kale Bread Pudding by Molly Wizenberg. I chose to stick with Dixie Caviar's version as peeling sweet potatoes is easier for me than peeling butternut squash. However, I'm sure the original recipe is just as good.
Sweet Potato and Cheddar Savory Bread Pudding
Yields: 6–8 servings
2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk, or mix of both
6 tablespoons dry white wine
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 day old baguette, torn into chunks
1 cup shallots, chopped (3 – 4 large)
2 bunches greens (kale, swiss chard, collards, etc), ribs removed and roughly chopped
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Toss sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper on rimmed baking sheet.
3) Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
4) Remove sweet potatoes and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
5) Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk half-and-half, eggs, white wine, and mustard.
6) Season liberally with salt and pepper.
7) Add bread cubes to egg mixture and gently toss.
8) Allow to soak for 30 minutes.
9) Heat remaining olive oil in large dutch oven.
10) Add shallots and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
11) Add greens and cover; cook approximately 2 minutes.
12) Remove cover, season with salt and pepper, and cook for an additional 10 minutes (until greens are wilted but still have a little bite).
13) Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
14) Spread with half of the bread mixture.
15) Add half of the greens, then half of the sweet potatoes.
16) Sprinkle with one-half of cheese.
17) Repeat with remaining bread, greens, sweet potatoes, and cheese.
18) Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
19) Remove foil and continue cooking for additional 20 minutes.