Saturday, February 9, 2013

Roasted Napa Cabbage


Inspired by a photo of roasted lettuce in Bon Appétit awhile back, I baked an entire cabbage tonight. We've roasted all sorts of vegetables, but never the leafy kind. It just seemed like a bad idea—causing it to burn or wilt. But, the gorgeous photo convinced me otherwise. After tonight's attempt, I think I'll be doing it more often. It produced a deep nutty flavor that is missing when you braise or sauté vegetables.      

For guidance, I followed Food.com's Roasted Napa Cabbage recipe, but made enough edits to rewrite it. My instructions are after the jump. 

(Photo taken by myself again, but without Instagram's aid. Sorry, this is why I need K's help.)

Roasted Napa Cabbage

1 head of napa cabbage, chopped and dried
10-12 garlic cloves, sliced
olive oil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

1) Preheat oven to 450°.

2) Coat bottom and sides of roasting pan with olive oil.

3) Place sliced garlic in roasting pan and swirl them around to infuse the oil.

4) Then add cabbage, salt, and pepper.

5) Toss everything so that cabbage is evenly coated with salt, pepper, and oil.

6) Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops of the cabbage pieces are browned. Toss cabbage every 5 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment